St. Louis Union Station Announces Major Changes and Enhancements for 2016 / 2017
Lodging Hospitality Management will transform the National Historic Landmark, adding new attractions, train-themed guest rooms and food outlets, an outdoor plaza and much more
Starting in 2017, St. Louis Union Station visitors can experience new attractions, train-themed guest rooms and food outlets, a renovated outdoor plaza featuring a 200 foot tall observation ferris wheel, a new train park, and 3D-animated light and fire shows at the lake sure to enhance St. Louis Union Station’s legacy as an historical tourist destination and entertainment and gathering place. Lodging Hospitality Management (LHM) purchased the National Historic Landmark in October 2012. Since the purchase, LHM has invested more than $40 million in the property’s renovations including:
- Additional Guest Rooms and Event Spaces: The existing mall area is set to be converted into 48 train-themed hotel rooms and 30,000 feet of private event space bringing the total number of hotel guest rooms to 587 and total event space to 137,000 square feet. Guests will receive a personalized train ticket for their room at check in. Inside the new train-themed rooms, high-end features include 50-inch TVs with sound bars for an in-room theater experience, hardwood floors and walk-in showers.
- The St. Louis Wheel: A 200 foot tall observation-style Ferris wheel, will be installed near the Hard Rock Café and will be open year-round. The wheel features 42 fully enclosed gondolas, each seating up to eight adults. One VIP gondola will feature leather bucket seats, a stereo system, and a glass floor for a unique viewing experience.
- New Outdoor Space and Vendors: New green space will be created outside the Hard Rock Café and will continue through a central plaza toward the lake and Landry’s restaurant. The existing outdoor space will be reinvigorated with an array of food and drink offerings housed in a series of vintage train cars and repurposed shipping containers. The new food and drink outlets will feature American classics such as barbecue, burgers, ice cream and funnel cakes. Craft beer, wine and cocktails will be served throughout the space from a variety of themed beverage stations.
- A Versatile Plaza: Activities such as beer and barbeque festivals, live music events, farmers markets, craft fairs, and much more are being planned for the new plaza space. At night, a variety of engaging light shows and illuminations will enhance the space.
- Redesigned Entrance: A new pedestrian entrance at 18th and Clark Street will feature the Gateway Light Tunnel, an illuminated archway that will guide visitors into the outdoor plaza.
- A Breathtaking Multimedia Experience: Festoon lighting along the pathways in seating areas will provide illumination and guide visitors through the space. A special tube light show will be featured every 30 minutes which will synchronize with music.